2/19/07

choirs, caldo, cancer and choir

[please see the link at the end]

I just came from a conference this past week where I saw a whole lot of people wanting to work together. I heard a man speak of his reaction to that point of view. What is often proposed is a homogeneous {melting pot} mush where everyone is just like everyone else, worshiping God in the same 'Choir de jour' hits of the month... very unlike the very diverse scene described in John's revelation where there were all nations, tongues and tribes (people groups or subcultures) gathered.

Rather than the mush of a 'melting pot', I like the idea of Mom & Dad's 'Texican caldo' {or your cultural equivalent}... there are still all the vegetables and meat, but the combined, derived flavor of all the ingredients gives a wonderful broth or soup without losing the identity of the peppers, potatoes, carrots, cabbage (and the meat of your choice). It is well worth the wait of preparation and cooking. Maybe we need to make sure the preparation process is going well. It does take time. The cooking may be uncomfortable, but the heat of the process can release the flavor of each part into the wonder that is the end product. I'm glad we are not all the same! It's ok for me that some people like to express themselves in different languages, rhythms, etc.

I'm ok with the truth that weekly worship in America independently demonstrates the value of being able to share the message of Good News not only in an indigenous language, but also from the cultural perspective that can be embraced by the hearer. It's not about segregation, it's about variety... and that is the spice (interest or excitement) of life! I love home cooking but momma needs a break once in a while, and we don't eat at the same restaurant every time, on purpose!!! [note: my blog is ALWAYS about food, isn't it!]

A healthy body is comprised of many parts, all different, all serving vital functions. If my role is to be the 'pituitary gland in the Body of Christ,' then I want to be the healthiest pituitary gland I can be, for the sake of the body! I have seen cases where glandular cancer racks the body and causes great pain and suffering. All because of one tiny organ hidden deep in critical areas. I don't want to be an unhealthy part of the body. I must learn to be content in doing what I have been called to do, and not too imitate others. I would then behave as a cancerous cell. My Oxford Dictionary Widget defines cancer as the 'uncontrolled division of abnormal cells.' GOD PLEASE HELP US TO BE HEALTHY!

oh yeah... and there will be ONE song, and it will be sung loud, and it will be sung forever! Alleluia!

PostScript: The resistance to efforts of unity seem to be based on fear. Fear is simply an insecurity or apprehension to pain or injury. Although UNITY may be a painful process, it is much more painful to have the cancer of DIVISION rampant.

Chris... thanks for asking the question! You're right on!

No comments: