6/17/04

Spiritual Freshness

A Reflection

by Doug Stringer

It was nearly 4am. I couldn't sleep so I had been on the internet working on some upcoming travel itineraries. Earlier in the week, I felt like I had hit the wall, battling not only physical weariness in my body but also the mental and emotional fatigue that so often come from carrying the weight of the ministry.

That's when I got an email from a pastor in Malaysia. The email was titled, "How to stay fresh spiritually."

"I am in the process of preparing a teaching on the above topic," he wrote, "and I thought I would glean some personal secrets from men of God all over the world. Would you mind sharing how you do it?"

Of course, I typed my response immediately, wishing to help my friend with his request. As I reflected on the truths that have carried me over the years, I found myself being strengthened and refreshed, as well.

Dr. Ed Cole, my spiritual father, taught me that "sometimes the most spiritual thing we can do is get some rest." One thing the late Leonard Ravenhill taught me is that we should always take God seriously, yet not to take ourselves too seriously.

"Personally," I wrote to my friend, "I ask regularly of the Lord to restore to me the JOY of His salvation. Sometimes I get so consumed in the mission and vision of God that I forget to enjoy the salvation of the Lord.

"Each morning I awaken with the Lord by saying to Him, 'Thank you Lord for this day that You have made...help me to rejoice and be glad in it. Lord, as I make myself available to You, help me not to think more highly of myself, yet help me to be confident in You. Help me to be a man of humility and yet have confidence, not in my flesh, but in You, my Lord.'"

In my deepest pits of despair and challenges, I try (by His grace) to give Him a drink-as the woman at the well in John 4-of adoration, worship, and praise. Even when I cannot muster the natural or physical strength, I begin-in an act of sheer faith- to thank the Lord for His lovingkindness, His mercies, and His faithfulness.

There are times when I realize I cannot bring supplications, but just adoration. Like David, I must encourage myself in the Lord. I am nothing without Him. There is nothing without Him.

I am assured of these five promises, these steadfast truths:

1. His MERCY endures forever;

2. His LOVE endures forever;

3. His TRUTHS endure forever;

4. His WORD endures forever; and

5. His NAME endures forever.

THE LORD IS... How can I add anything more? HE IS...

And He knew, at that moment, exactly what I needed. A simple question, a simple

request, yet generating a profound reminder to me to praise Him in all things.

"Give me a drink."

Jesus help me know how to GIVE YOU A DRINK, and in so doing may I be refreshed, as I drink from the wells that never run dry.

No comments: