10/20/06

Kids are messy!

This is an excerpt from Timothy Eldred (www.praywithyouth.com) regarding the development of youth. As you read it I want to encourage you as you are IN the lives of the kids that it WILL cost... but we will either pay now or pay later... rest assured, we will pay.

-info@rmaxtorres.com

WASTING TIME WITH KIDS
October 19, 2006
============= excerpted message from Timothy Eldred follows===========
I know how to waste time. I'm sure a lot of people could give me a run for my money, but when it comes to wasting time I can hold my own. As a matter of fact, I might be considered an expert. Believe it or not, I want you to be an expert, too!
In a recent blog post on All for One, Milton McDonald, from Sydney, Australia, hit the nail square on the head with these words to youth leaders, "Develop the habit of wasting time with your youth." That comment is the context for my opening paragraph. In order to effectively impact young lives, we must learn to waste time with teens.

Just think about the amount of time we really do waste (Can we all say television commercials?). Some people loose many days a year watching advertisements on TV. Of course, there are other time-wasters we could name, but it would be a waste of my time to sit here create a list of them for you.

The point is simple: Relationships change lives. How many hours have slipped away from us (this week alone) that could have been wasted (invested) in someone's life? There are things we do for the sake of ministry we think are important that really are an unfortunate waste of time. They just keep us busy instead of actively engaged. Busy typically takes place behind a desk. It includes too much time alone. Often, busy means planning, preparing, and polishing weekly programs. Why? Are they that effective?

The simplicity of the Gospel and the example of Jesus Christ has been all but lost for the sake of productivity and professionalism. I dare you (triple-dog-dare-you) to stop being efficient for once. Instead, take a chance and begin intentionally wasting time with the people God has placed in your path. That's where real life- change occurs.


Enroll your church in Pray with Youth now.
Because of Jesus,
Timothy Eldred
Christian Endeavor International
email: teldred@allfor1.org
phone: 989-427-3737
web: http://www.praywithyouth.com

No comments: