7/21/07

Introspection: Tammy Faye

My wife and I listened to Larry King interview 'Tammy Faye' of PTL/Heritage USA fame the other night. Generally speaking, major media outlets or spokespersons are not kind or gentle to proponents of Christianity. I was struck by the type of "leading questions" that Larry King was asking. It was almost as if he wanted to give Tammy an opportunity to give her testimony - and she did!! Even with a sense of humor. When asked what she wanted to be remembered by, she said "My eyelashes!", then after gently laughing at herself she corrected her statement and said something like, "My Faith in God!" Every phrase that she uttered was a struggle, but she did so courageously. The inoperable cancer had spread into her lungs. Her statement was that she was in pain at every moment of the day.

Did you hear the news? Tammy Faye is now at rest from all physical pain. She passed into eternity today.

I have no argument about whether or not God is Faithful to His promise. I am only examining my resolve to be faithful to Him. Are my struggles enough to convince me to abandon my trust in his provision? Well, if you don't know me yet - in a word, NOPE!

I may not ever have to endure what others have gone through before me in their commitment to Christ. My constant tinges of muscle, joint and ear pain are simply reminders of mortality. I too look forward to being 'released from these mortal coils.'

Q: What side of the proverbial argument are you on? Is it better to be "absent from the body and be present with the Lord?" or are you driven to "Work while it is yet day for the night is coming when no one can work?"

2 comments:

Jeremy Del Rio said...

That's an argument I'd rather not choose sides on. ;) I'm looking forward to heaven, but not rushing to get here. Enjoying life and family until Abba calls me home.

RMaxT said...

Here! Here!
I resonate with you Jeremy! Although I have come uncomfortably close to death several times in the last 10 years, it has made me love LIFE more, not less. For my part, I'm glad the decision is not up to me. Call me a worker bee if you want, but I like going into the harvest fields every day... sunshine or rain!