6/24/07

The Value of Networks

There is always great dialogue on Chris Brooks' weblog. One of these sounding board topics is regarding the value of networks. I shared this response, but I think you would enjoy the complete interaction on this and other questions. Please take a moment to contribute from your perspective. The value of a body is that every part (and viewpoint) is valuable/essential for the survival of that body. Below this paragraph is my quote, but please visit Chris's site when you are able.

[Brief Commercial: Chris is the new Director for UrbNet. Become part of the Urban Youthworksers Network! It's good to know where we can co-labor with like-minded partners.]




Steve (et al),

"There seems to be resistance to networking among small, conservative (especially Pentecostal) Latino congregations that are primarily Spanish speaking for reasons I don't fully understand, however."-Steve

This is the pond that I sit squarely in. There exists a dichotomy between 'el camino antiguo' (the old ways) and the desire for 'bleeding edge' impact. There is a desire to stem the exodus of these dynamic young latino leaders but no consistent plan to involve them in the transition from the old ways to the new. Because of historic oppression and prejudice we (latino/native) have learned to be chameleons and are more likely to be trans-cultural. [I have first hand experience with this issue] As a result, the tension becomes destructive because I don't feel enough has been, or is being done to acclimate these young leaders within our culture. We are missing the full impact of this great asset within a majority of our churches. My deepest chagrin is that these developing leaders are not normally pre-disposed to contributing to the growth and development of the congregations that forged them. When they perceive resistance to their ideas and suggestions, they migrate (immigrate) to mainline denominations that are reaching out to minorities due to their own waning numbers.

The numbers/percentages you mentioned of latino/hispanic involvement is common across the U.S., but national leadership and profile does not reflect the advancement of this culture. Dig through any of your recent (last 10 years) flyers for national conferences or workshops and the glaring absence of latino/hispanic speakers on dockets that have been addressing urban issues is apparent. I believe this is one reason our young latino/a leaders are acclimating to the point of losing connection with the culture that has helped forge their tenacity and creativity.

This is a great 'loss' to the highly resistant strains of spanish-heritage churches filled with 'ancianos' (elders) that have a great oral history of the struggle, pain and sacrifice that has allowed this younger generation to be steeped in an ambience that highly values Family, Spirituality, Passion and Celebration. All great components of a highly productive CHURCH.

... and lest I digress too far, Chris's original Q was regarding the value of a Network in my life. I want to affirm the desire for inclusion of young latino leaders in developing networks. Thank you for helping me to feel welcome. My only request is to encourage these young leaders to 'stay the course' in their home congregations. Empower them with the skills to know how to work within a system that may seem to be resistant, but is struggling to understand the transition from the old to the new. I appreciate all the different networks, cooperatives and accountability partners that have helped me with education, resources and occasional rebukes. I am not just the poor ethnic little brother to them. I have been able to share from my struggles and victories as well to help us all accomplish our goal of reaching EVERYONE. I could not LIVE outside of networks... at all!

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." -Jesus [John 15:5]

No comments: