10/30/07

Citizenship

This morning I attended a swearing-in ceremony to receive naturalized citizens of the United States of America.
I was invited by Pastor Elizandro Sanabria who moved here from Belize. He serves a community with his congregation here in Houston. Listening to his youthful vision, the U.S.A. Is fortunate to have a service minded person desiring to be part of this nation. As I slowly looked across the full Coliseum I saw husbands, wives, children & friends who were anticipating the oath of allegience that so many would make to this country. With all the political rhetoric surrounding the immigration issues in our country, I admire the tenacity of so many who labored through beuracracies (sp?) and frustrations to arrive at this moment in their process. As the sounds of Loretta Lynn wafted through the air [this is Texas after all], I wondered if
'Coal Miner's Daughter' was appropriate and realized that many of the jobs these new citizens have chosen are as much a benefit to the strength of our nation as were the menial jobs that European arrivals toiled through several centuries ago.
When I returned from my first world travels, I remarked to my father how so many of the things I took for granted here, were absent from the Middle Eastern culture I had been living in. He listened calmly and said these words that I have reiterated so many times since: ''To love America, leave it.''

PAX,
Max [from Treo]

No comments: