3/17/07

Exodus - Day 2: Saturday

PC USERS: click on the picture to cause the next photo to appear.

Saturday morningly; March 21, 2007
I said Farewell to The Carrasco family and left Pasadena, CA into the haze of the early morning. A large number of motorcycles came roaring over the rise behind me and the first helmet that passed me was tiger-striped pink, orange and black. Not until the first few bikes chugged by did I realize that the 20 plus group was an 'all female' motorcycle club. (the pink flag on the last bike confirmed my suspicions). As I rolled into the desert of Barstow, CA I stopped for oil, gas, water & a SugarFree Redbull. I lay in the cool grass under the fresh shade of a majestic palm tree (memories of Saudia Arabia). I found my old friend, the Historic Route 66 (aka Higway 40), again taking me into the Mojave Desert. A High Performance Mazda zoomed by with the unique privilege of being trailered behind a U-Haul... well, I thought of the benefits of being able to put all my belongings in my little Integra... and I am getting much better gas mileage than that big truck.
I was happy because of the speed with which I was traveling, I vaguely remembered that for the past 7 months that I have driven Hwy 40 there has been a detour and bridge construction through a considerable section of highway. (grrr) But soon the High Desert fed through the mountain pass where Laughlin, Bullhead City & Needles beamed in the green irrigated valley below. A famous burger was my heaviest meal all day (keeps me from getting sleepy) and a face to face encounter with a bull elk was my last grin before I slept in Williams, AZ (down the road from the Grand Canyon).

No comments: